Thursday, June 21, 2012

Email #3


Tsev Neej!!! (Pronounced Jay Nang - aka Family)

I got my Hmong name!

Okay not really. But we were given a temporary Hmong name for while we are here in the MTC, and mine is Es Daws (Elder) Tooj (pronounced Tong in a descending tone 
J). Once I get out into the field, I guess an old lady who is a part of the ward there in Fresno meets you, contemplates on what your Hmong name is, and then gives you the Hmong name you are known for the rest of your life! And you’re pretty much adopted into the culture. I’m so excited!

It’s already my fourth week here at the MTC! What the! Time literally is FLYING, which I’m stoked about because I’m counting the days until I’m actually out in the field. I may not understand a word of what anybody is actually saying, but just to be actually out doing the Lord’s work with the people I’m finding I love more every day – I CAN’T WAIT!

The letters/gifts from back home from all you guys basically makes my day. I LIVE to get the mail. Trust me. The companions make fun of me for it. It really does just fill my soul with joy and happiness. Speaking of letters, and I can’t remember if I mentioned this last week, but if you want to get a hold of me the BEST way is mailed letter (because they are magical), then dearelder.com, then e-mail. It’s takes time out of my weekly allotment to check the e-mails, so that would be much appreciated!

Let me think of some highlights from this last week…….

The language is coming really well! I’m getting a lot better at actually saying things correctly, and I can basically read out loud anything you put in front of me, the struggle comes in understanding it when it is spoken to you. We have 3 teachers that switch off: Brother Luke, Brother Sanchez, and Brother Carter. They are all such amazing guys! I really like Brother Carter, he is probably in the top 5 nicest human beings I have ever met. They all are really. But when Brother Sanchez talks to us, he talks around 600 mph, basically meaning we don’t understand a word. Oh and starting next week, literally ALL teaching is going to be done in Hmong. No pressure there!!
 
Hahaha soooo best thing of my life is when we mess tones up, because it completely changes the meanings of words and sentances. For instance, I accidently said that Joseph Smith is dead rather than Joseph Smith is true. Elder Burdick (Now known as Es Daws Npuav hwv, don't even asked out you actually say that) accidently told the teacher he was going to kiss him, and we all accidently told the teacher he needed to sin. Gospel is true folks!

Alright so on a random note, we’ve been slowly learning about Hmong history and religious beliefs as well, and let’s just say it’s very different than ours! For instance, we learned that a rule among Hmong missionaries wherever you serve is that you cannot eat meat that was part of a sacrificial ceremony… or drink any blood they may offer you… actually technically they boil it so it’s more like a jello… ya…

It’s weird because our teachers not only teach us, but also role-play as three investigators we are teaching. And of course Brother Sanchez, the one that speaks insanely fast, plays a Shaaman, or religious leader in ancestral worship, so teaching him is definitely… what’s the word I’m looking for… puzzling? Haha it’s great though, I used to dread when we had to teach because I would be stressed out over being prepared enough, but I’m learning how to trust in the spirit more and more every day and be confident in the testimony I have.

I literally feel my testimony being strengthen every hour that I am here. We listened to a talk given by Elder Jeffry R. Holland entitled Missionary For Life, and in it he talked about how as missionaries, we are going to be more in tune with the Spirit that we likely will in our entire lives on such a consistent basis, and that we need to take advantage of every second we are serving. I couldn’t agree more. Being so in tune with the Spirit has made me the happiest I think I have ever been.

Speaking of general authorities, I guess that next month is the 50th anniversary of the MTC, as well as training for over 150 new mission presidents and their wives, which means that we are literally going to see the Prophet, both his counselors, and the entire quorum of the 12 apostles next week!!!! I’m stoked!!! I’ll definitely keep you posted on that. 

I love you guys so much. I literally pray for you day and night. While I don’t ever want this work to end, I can’t wait until I see you all again!

Here’s a couple new Hmong words/phrases for ya off the top of my head…

Hlub – Love (Prounded by saying ‘hello’ without the 'e' or 'o', insanely fast, followed by ‘ew’)
Txoj Moo Zoo – The Gospel (pronounced kinda like you are saying dsoh mong zong)
Vajtswv – God (va, then kinda like you are saying jew)

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kuv paub hais tias Yexus Khetos tau tuag rau peb, thiab yog peb hlooj siab leeg txis, peb yuaj ua txoj kev zoo siab.

No comments:

Post a Comment