Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Email #5


Nyob Zoo (Hello) Kuv Tsev Neeg (my family) thaib (and) kuv tej phooj ywg (my friends)!
 
It's into Week 6 now, it really feels like five minutes ago that I was writing my last e-mail to you guys! The time really is just FLYING by which Hey, no complaints here, I can't wait to actually be out in the field. Not that I'm not enjoying it here, but I'm excited to finally be doing what we've been preparing to do for the last six weeks - help God's children come unto Christ! I really am so excited!

The language is going really well! Yesterday we had an 'appointment' with one of our investigators, and we understood almost everything he said and answered his questions so well, it was such a cool experience! The scary thing is that the teachers keep telling us, "we're not here to help you learn the language before you go out into the field, because that isn't possible. We just want to give you to tools to be able to learn the language once you are out in the field." No pressure there! I really am so excited though, I can just imagine it now, when I first go to Fresno to a member's house and maybe understand 5 words they say! That's the thing with Hmong is that it isn't a very documented language, so truly learning it is only possible through actually being with the people.
 
Ocassionally in class we will have 'cultural' lessons where we will just learn about different aspects of the Hmong people. This last Saturday (I think.... like I said, the days are a blur) we had one of these, and we learned about different social aspects of the poeple. One part in particular stood out, which was one of the three ways you can become engaged to a woman. To paraphrase, our teacher said that the man who want's to engage to a girl 'steals her' from her house. This is usually done voluntarily, but there have been stories of it being involuntary.... anyways, the man takes her back to her parents house, where the man's parents then hold a chicken over the girl's head. Once this happens, she becomes part of their 'coj neej tsa', or certain of form of ancestoral worship. She's become a part of the family, and it's a done deal - the two are engaged to be married. They're culture really is so different then ours, it's definitely going to take some adjusting to once I get there!
 
This week, our whole hallway (which includes us, the 3 Thai classes, the Cambodian class, and the Vietnamese class) all are doing SYL, or Speak Your Language. This means we're now talking in our mission language 24/7 unless we absolutely have to say something. At first it was really frustrating because we all basically couldn't say anything. But even after just doing it for a few days, we've all already learned so much and am really improving! It basically forces you to learn all the little conversational things you don't think of, which has helped a lot with our teaching appointments.
 
A talk I heard this week that really impacted me was a past MTC Christmas Devotional given by Elder Bednar called 'The Character of Christ.' Bednar is definitely to the point, and at one moment he looked straight into the camera and said "This mission is not about you. Get over yourself." He continued on to talk about how we need to be relying on the Lord's strength and knowledge, not our own, and that we are consecrating the these two years of our lives to serve the Lord's will, not our own. It really hit home for me because it's sometimes easy to get distracted on lose focus onw what we are doing all this work for, especially while here in the MTC while we are preparing to leave. But I know that as I continue to align my will with the will of our Father's, I will soon have success in helping His children return unto Him through Jesus Christ.

Sorry that this e-mail is kinda short, to be honest I am feeling sick and am probably going to go lay down in the residense hall for a while. I'll make sure I send something more beefy next week. I want to be good for tonight because there is a member of the Quorom of the 12 coming tonight to talk at the devotional!! I'm really excited, I'll definitely let you guys know on what he says!

I love you guys so much. As hard as it is being away, I know I am doing the right thing by serving the Lord. Your support and letters really do just make my life. Until next week - Sib Ntjib Dua!

- Yours Truly
   Es Daw Tooj / Elder Doane

No comments:

Post a Comment