Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Email #7


Nyob Zoo! Kuv hlub nej!

Hello! I'm still slightly in shock it is another P-day again. The days are flying by so quickly, it is so strange! I feel like at this rate, I'm going to be home in what feels like a week! No offense, but I really don't want it to feel that way :) This past week has been amazing! Even though it was slightly sad to think that you guys were literally a couple blocks away from me on the 4th of July, I had such a good time here! They ended up having this big devotional thing where they celebrated the rights of all the countries around the world, and then after we got Ice Cream and got to go watch the fireworks go off out in the grass around the MTC. I was weird because we were out there until 11, which I've NEVER stayed up that late since being here! It was awesome to be able to see the fireworks though, made me feel like I was with you guys.

The language is coming along. At moments, it's daunting, and at other times, it feels like I'm on top of the world. It's crazy how much of not just Hmong, but Thai and Laotian words were are learning as well, since they are so incorporated into American Hmong. I think I also now know how to say hi in at least 10 different languages! I'm also finding that I really like Green Hmong more than White Hmong, even though we've only been learning about it for a little while. It sounds so crazy to speak it! It kind of sounds like Chinese, just really off. I LOVE IT!

My teacher, Brother Luke, said something really interesting this week that has really stuck a cord. It was on a day that as a companionship we were getting frustrated with the language, and he talked with us about how 'we are all prodigies in Hmong in a sense because we were all preordained before this life to learn Hmong.' Whoa! I never thought about my mission in that eternal of a perspective of before, but now that I think about it, I am sure that it is so true. With that perspective in mind, it helps me to be more patient at myself when I may be feeling frustrated or like I am not learning fast enough.
 
I really CAN NOT wait to get out into Fresno. I really do love it here in the MTC, but we've been here so long now that we've been here longer than almost everyone here. It's weird because we always have some English missionaries in our zone, but they are only here for 3 weeks (JEALOUS!), so we've gone through 4 sets of them already I think. It makes me so excited to actually get out there! I know that I'm probably not going to understand what is going on for months, but I'm ready to just trust in the Lord and throw myself in the Lord's work. It's so rewarding to work completely and singly for the Lord. I go to bed utterly exhausted, but utterly satisfied as well, knowing that I'm consecrating my time to helping God's children return to Him through Jesus Christ.

As a companionship, we have made a huge improvement this week in teaching in unity and, more more importantly, teaching with the Spirit. Yesterday we had an 'appointment,' and our investigator was having a hard time understanding why he needed to 'luam dab', or end ancestral worship if he wanted to be baptized. The three of us completely ditched our original lesson plan and taught what seemed to be a powerful lesson, and I could feel the Spirit so strongly. The 3 of us work really well together. I think that 3-way companionships usually have a bad wrap here in the MTC because it almost always turns out that two of the companions grow close or are similar, and one is left out. It is completely opposite for us! We all get along really well! I've already convinced the other two they really need to transfer to BYU after their missions. And (I don't know if I'm not supposed to be saying this or not...) just saying, I am already planning on one day going to Harry Potter world with Elder Lowry, he lives an hour away from it! Haha had to say it...
 
I sent that SD card in the mail, so hopefully you guys will have some pictures soon!

I love you guys so much! I really do feel so blessed for this life that I have been given. How many people in the world, in all-time, have the means and the opportunity to be able to serve the Lord for two years and help His children? I know it's not many, and I'm so blessed for this opportunity I have been given. I hope to make the most of it, and become the servant that the lord would have me be. It's hard. Every day. It never gets easier. But you get stronger, because Christ is right by your side helping you.

KUV HLUB NEJ!

- Es Daws Tooj

No comments:

Post a Comment