Saturday, August 18, 2012

Email #8


Nyob Zoo!!!
 
Well I'm now 3/4's of my way through here in the MTC! I can't believe it! I'm so excited to get out into the field. The three of us are starting to get to the point where we're not so much as just remembering as much vocab as we can to now we're trying to really understand how the Hmong people speak, which what better way then actually being around them? We're working harder than every before because we really want to be as prepared as possible for when we get out into the field. That's what I love about my companionship. The 3 of us are all striving to be the best missionaries we can be and helping others come unto Christ, so we're all united in our focus. Not to mention sometimes I feel like I've known them my whole life, we get along so well! I think the perfect example of this was the other day, during our companion inventory, Elder Burdick said something to me along the lines of, "You're just enough crazy that you keep us insane."
 
Thanks Mom for so much for that cake you sent a while ago! I felt bad because I literally hadn't opened yet and it was still really soft, so I brought it into the Cambodian district and we all enjoyed, so on their behalfs', Thank You!

This week has been so incredible! So I just barely got back from cleaning the Provo Temple! It's closed for these couple of weeks, and in the mail one day we randomly got this slip saying we would have the opportunity to help in the cleaning of the temple on our p-day! So we went up there, they ended up giving us some white scrubs, and we helped to rip out the carpet on the cement in front of the temple, scape the glue off the cement, and then do some dusting and cleaning inside! It was such a cool experience, and it really made me appreciate how much work goes into maintaining the Houses of the Lord. For the devotional last Sunday, Jenny Oaks Baker played a couple songs! If you don't know who she is, she's basically one of the best violinists in the country and is actually Elder Oak's daughter (just YouTube her!). You could feel the Spirit so strongly, and not to mention it really made me want to play my viola again! Actually, speaking of, I've been able to play a violin a couple times while I've been here because I am accompanying one of my friends from high school and we are auditioning to perform a musical number in one of the devotionals! In every devotional, they have a musical number perform, but you have to audition for it, so I'll keep you posted on if we make it!
 
So, on a completely random note, I had the greatest dream ever last night! So it started out that I snuck out of the MTC. Not that I'm condoning that, just keep reading. So I snuck out home and I was able to have a Sunday dinner with you guys and all the sisters and their families, but the dream was super realistic! I remember I went through and hugged all of the nieces and nephews, it was so great! Haha sorry that was really random, but it was really cool. But hey, no worries, I'm not planning on sneaking out of the MTC :)
 
I'm so grateful to the Lord and all that he has given us. Something that I have been realizing this week is how the more you open your eyes spiritually and become aware of how much the Lord has blessed you in your life, the more in debt you are to serve and give thanks. I'm so grateful for this chance I have to serve my mission because in my own small way, though these two years of service, I'm able to give what little I can back to the Lord and in the process, help some of His children return to Him and realize the peace and safety that comes through following our Savior. A scripture that has really impacted me this week in regards to this is Helaman 5:12 (Go read it!), which talks about how we should build "upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ," and that if we do, Christ will never let us fall. To me, this scripture insures me the both if I build my foundation upon Christ, I will have a successful mission; and that all of you back home will also be supported as you put your trust in Christ.
 
Oh and guess what... I'm going to Laos instead of California for my mission! Just kidding :) in our companionship we like to joke around whenever we get an official letter addressed from the church that it is going to say something along the lines on "Hey, Laos is now open to missionaries and we need to send some Hmong speakers, so you're up!" Ha that would be crazy!
 
I love you guys so much! I'm so grateful for the roles you have played in my life, helping me get to this point where I am today. I know it's not a coincidence that we are together as a family and I have made the friends I have, because like it says in 2 Nephi 2:24, "But behold all things have been done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things." This is actually the scripture that I'd like to have put on my missionary plaque (mom, I sent you a letter today talking about this, so hopefully you get that soon). I really do think and pray about you guys all the time. And trust me, my companions make fun of me for how many letters I write, so if you write me, I WILL respond as soon as I can!
 
Only 22 more days until I'm on a plane to Fresno! Sib Ntsib Dua!

- Es Daws Tooj (Elder Matt Doane

No comments:

Post a Comment