Thursday, August 30, 2012

Email #14

It's been over 3 months since I left home now - time is FLYING! It kind of freaks me out. Anyways, things are going great here in Fresno as usual!

Elder Allen and I really do get along so well, it's like we've known each other our whole lives. He actually really reminds me of Morgan because we have the same kind of humor with each other. Together we've been able to have some great success with the guidance of the Lord. We've now got 5 investigators, and they are all awesome! We have one committed for baptism already, and the rest are progressing really well. All the hard long work really is worth it when you see these people you love so much accepting the gospel and changing their lives. 

A really cool experience this week was that I gave my first blessing. One of our investigators, who we hadn't even really taught yet, got into touch with us and asked us to give her a blessing because she's was really sick - talk about having faith! Not going to lie, I was extremely nervous when I was asked to give the actual blessing itself, but the more I look back on what happened I know that it was the Spirit speaking through me. I'm so excited for her and will keep you posted on how it goes. 

This last Sunday was also really awesome for two reasons - the investigators we invited to church came, and I got to play piano in primary again! Couldn't ask for anything more than that! I love playing in the primary because now all the little kids in ward know who I am and it's awesome. Bah. I love it so much. 

Speaking of little kids, my 'nephew/niece withdrawals' have been partially appeased these last few Mondays. On Monday nights we're not supposed to have dinner appointments because of Family Home Evening, so every Monday we just go over to a member's house and eat. It's great though because she has tons of little kids and it's so fun just to be able to play with them. No one can replace all the nieces and nephews, but at least I'm still getting some quality little-kid time in. 

The three random-moments-of-the-week (at least more random than usual) would include...
  • One of our appointments the other night was in an apartment complex, and on the way walking through  we were almost (for lack of a better word) urinated on by a guy the floor above. Guess he doesn't like Mormon missionaries!
  • One of the members we teach owns a photo business and really wanted us to come over to her studio and take pictures of us today. It was hilarious! She's planning on photo-shopping us into a Thailand backdrop, so I'll definitely make sure a copy of that picture gets sent home when I get a copy of it. 
  • Every week Elder Allen and I have to take our car through a car wash, and after while we were vacuuming out the car (to make a long story short) somehow got into the middle of a fight between a homeless man and an employee of the car wash that almost broke out into throwing punches... yep!
I'm just completely content with life as a missionary. It really is the most worthwhile thing I know that I can be doing with my life. To see how others have been prepared by the Spirit throughout their life to learn about and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ just further reinforces my own testimony that God really does personally love us, is completely aware of us, and is waiting to bless us. I love you guys so much and hope you guys have a great week too!

Until next week - Sib Ntsib Dua!

- Yours Truly,
   Elder Tshaj Lug Vwj / 
   Elder Matthew Doane

+ P.S. - You may have noticed, but I definitely spelled my new Hmong name wrong in last week's e-mail! My 'hmoob xeeb' or last name is Vwj, not Vuj! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment