Saturday, August 18, 2012

Email #12

Nyob Zoo Kuv Tsev Neeg! Alright, where to even start... Let's go back to day 1.

{And note, I am skipping SO MUCH detail that I don't have time to fill in, this is bare bones!}

First off, the missionaries that came to Fresno with Elder Burdick and myself are amazing people! We instantly bonded. We got here in Fresno and were met at the airport by President Gelwix and the missionaries that were leaving that day. President Gelwix is one of the most down-to-earth, spiritual men that I've ever met. I can't even tell you how excited I am to have to opportunity to have him as my mission president. From the airport, we went to an orientation-type meeting, and were paired up with a random missionary to go out tracting! I was kind of nervous, but really excited to be just jumping into it. Myself, Elder Burdick, and two other Hmong Elders (more on them later. . .) went to a refugee housing area called 'Little Laos.' I paired off with Elder Burton, one of the Hmong missionaries, and we went out tracting through the apartments.

The high-light of tracting was I realized that I've already fallen in love with these people. The Hmong people really are the most humble, spirited people that I have ever met. Just talking to them made me feel honored to have to opportunity to be serving them for the next two years.

Alright, now the low-light. (And Mom, please don't freak out...) So we were walking by this road, and across the street was an elementary school. Long story short, we saw a hit-and-run of a little girl crossing the street. I can't even tell you how freaking out I was. There were people suddenly everywhere, and we left because there was no way we could have been helpful in that situation. We don't know what happened to the girl. Bah. Everyone keeps telling me that never happens to missionaries out on the first day, but I'm still just a little bit nervous whenever we're out on the streets. Bah!

Anyways, things after that have been great! We were finally introduced to who our companion would be for these first two transfers, and my companion's name is Elder Allen! It's hilarious because we went to Alta and both graduated in 2010, but we somehow didn't know each other before! God works in mysterious ways! :) He's been out here well over a year, I think he goes home in January. We get along swimmingly. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better companion.

The area that I'm in now is the Fresno-West area. I'll be here at least for the first-two transfers (12 weeks), although Elder Allen has been in this same area for months so there's a chance I'll be here even longer than that. Which I'm actually really grateful for because I'm going to be able to really get to know the members, which will really help!

Yesterday at church was so fun! Every week for Sacrament Meeting, they have one missionary and one member of the ward translate because some of the families are English-speaking families that serve in the ward. Hence, they have to translate both from Hmong to English and English to Hmong depending on who is talking. The translator sits in a little booth on the podium, and everyone in the congregation that needs translating wears headphones. Thankfully, no translating duty for me this week :) but Elder Burdick and I said the prayers in Sacrament Meeting! Everyone said we did really well, which we hope isn't just because it's our first week. Then they had me play the piano in both primaries because the pianist was a no-show, I loved it!

I really am so grateful for this chance that I have to serve. I know that this is where the Lord wants me to serve, and that I'm going to have success provided I continue to rely wholly on the Lord. I love you guys and miss you so much, and know the Lord is blessing and supporting you!

I really feel like I have left out 99% of what's happened, so I'll cram as much in as I can next week! I love you!

I almost forgot... I HAVE A HMONG NAME!!!! We went over to a member's house, and he gave me my name - it's Tshaj Lug Vuj (pronounced Cha Lew Vue, Tones are descending on the Cha, Breathy {basically sound like you are being punched} on Lew, and descending on Vue). It literally means 'to declare the word!' It's basically the coolest name ever! Haib Heev! Tshaj Lug Vuj for life!

Yours Truly,
Tub Txib Tshaj Lug Vuj / 
Elder Matthew Doane

P.S. - I was wrong about the address thing, send mail to the mission office. I included the address below. They forward the mail onto us. Thanks!

1814 N Echo Ave
Fresno, CA 93704

No comments:

Post a Comment