Saturday, August 18, 2012

Email #11


Nyob Zoo! Nej nyob li cas? {Hello! How are you!} It is officially my last day here in the MTC! I can't believe it! It's weird to think that I have almost literally been here the whole Summer, and yet in many respects it has felt no longer than a week. At this rate I really do feel like my mission is going to fly by!
 
I know that's because I'm working harder than I ever have. This last week has sort of been a 'reality-slap' for our whole South-Eastern Asian hallway in that we said to ourselves, "Shoot, we need to be able to speak this language in a week." And hey it's not nearly as bad for us Hmongs just going to California, I could be going to Cambodia speaking Vietnamese, so count your many blessings. { cough cough Mom :) }
 
But even more importantly than learning the language, even more importantly is understanding the simple doctrines of the gospel and being able to teach these simple truths to the needs of the investigators. It has been something we've been drilling since day 1, and I feel like this last week things are finally starting to connect on really how to do this. Now I've just got to see if it's going to work when I am teachingactual investigators!
 
Here's a couple highlights / lowlights / 'what-just-happened' moments of the week...
  • Okay I'm going to preface this Story by saying Mom, I'm sure this isn't going to happen to me. Well, now that that is out of the way... One of our teachers, Brother Sanchez (aka Southeastern-asian language master) was telling us this story about how when he was serving in San Fransisco, an elderly lady he and his companion were teaching called them and asked if they could give her a blessing. They agreed, but when they got there it turns out the the two of them "walked into the middle of a gun fight." People were shooting at eachother in this lady's house! They said that they screamed "the police are coming" in Laotion or something along those lines and everyone took off. Again, Mom, I'm sure that won't happen... pretty sure... :)
  • With the aforementioned teacher, the three of us Hmongs were trying to practice street approaches. One of the funniest / most awkward experiences of my life. So Brother Sanchez just randomly walks out of class, and by the time we finally deduce what is going on, he is wondering around the MTC campus. So the three of us are literally running around the entire place, building through building, trying to intercept our teacher. People thought we were crazy! Finally we found him, so completely out of breath and from 100 feet away we scream 'Oh NYOB ZOO', at which point our teacher burst out into laughter. It was great.
  • This last Sunday, we had a departure devotional for us missionaries that would be leaving this week from the MTC. Just the 300 of us! Ha anyways, one of the Elders gave an amazing testimony, and in it he stated "Today's test is tomorrow's testimony." I think that is such a simple statement, and yet it is so completely true. It reminds me of in Ether 12:18 which states "And neither at any time hath any wrought miracles until after their faith; wherefore they first believed in the Son of God." I know that the many miracles I have seen take place in my life have only come after a personal trial of my faith and testimony, and I know this is true for the rest of God's children as well. I'm excited to be able to share that message with the Hmong people - that trials you may be facing today allow miracles to take place in your life and your testimony to grow.
  • So the 'what-just-happened' moment of the week took place during the closing prayer of said devotional. So my companions and myself were sitting in the second row from the front, and in the row behind us were all the Senior Missionaries. So when the closing prayer was being offered, I heard what I thought was snoring, and just thought to myself 'one of the senior missionaries must be asleep.' Turns out the senior elder sitting directly behind me had a stroke during the closing prayer! It was such a sureal experience. The second the prayer was over, his wife screamed out for help and we all realized something bad had happened. Before I even knew what was happening, there were paramedics sweeping in, ambulances being called, and groups of missionaries praying all around me! I really do hope and pray he was alright.
As I've prepared to leave and packed all of my belongings away, I've had such an amazing realization - I have no fear. I'm so grateful for this time I've had at the MTC because it has helped me continue to develop my faith to the point of where I can say I have no reservations or anxieties going out into the field tomorrow. Sure, I may not understand what's being said to me, but I'm ready to give all that I have in helping invite others come unto our Savior, and I feel truly privileged for the opportunity to do so.
 
I love you! Oh, and before I forget, don't forget I have a new writing address now, so don't send any letters to the MTC anymore! The address is below. I believe it is the address of my mission office. When I get the address of my actual place I'll be living, I will let you know. Until then, write to here...

1814 N Echo
Fresno, CA 93704
USA
 
Alright, well I'm sure my e-mail next week will be interesting to say the least, so I can't wait until then! Don't worry about me, and I won't worry about you guys - deal? Just always cultivate your relationship with our Heavenly Father and keep your perspective on the things that truly matter in this life, and we will always be at peace.

Sib Ntsib Dua!
- Es Daws Tooj / Elder Doane / Elder Fierce / just-realized-I'm-probably-getting-my-real-Hmong-name-tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment