Saturday, August 18, 2012

Email #10


Nyob Zoo! Bah - I love you guys so much!
 
This last week has been amazing! Felt like half an hour in real-time, but still amazing! Couple high-lights would include...
  • So with the audition for the musical number in the devotional... I made it! To be honest, I was completely terrified. Playing an instrument I haven't played in literally years in front of 2700+ people - no pressure! But for me, a miracle happened. I prayed fervently to help my technical skills return, especially considering this piece is really high, something I'm definitely not used to as a viola player. And this last Sunday night when I stood up in front of the packed auditorium, I could almost literally feel the Spirit pouring into me, and I know this because I was I think one of the happiest that I've ever been. I prayed to be an instrument in the Lord's hand, and I feel I accomplished that. The piece went off without a hitch, I literally couldn't have asked for a better performance. It was such a unique experience I know I won't ever forget, and was also awesome because....
  • Because I played in the devotional and they announced my name and where I'd be serving and such, after the devotional some Elders came up to us Hmongs and it turns out they're the majority of the other Elder's going to out Fresno with us speaking Spanish and Engligh! There are 15 other Elder's going out to Fresno with us, and they are such incredible guys! It just got me more excited to finally get out into the field. Yet at the same time....
  • I have been studying harder than I ever have before. Studying for school or a test is one thing, but I'm talking about studying so I'm not completely in the dark when I arrive. It's defintely going to be a humbling experience, because as it is with any South-Eastern Asian Language, you have to just immerse yourself and study for months before you really start to get a grasp on it. Well and that's only if you've got the power of the Spirit too! I've been trying to prepare myself as much as I can {And, I feel it is approapriate here to give a shout out to my favorite Texan-Sister for sending me Hmong dictionaries. You have no idea how helpful they are!}, but nothing can replace just jumping out of my comfort zone and being completely immersed in the people. Which is interesting because.....
  • Looking from when I entered the MTC to know as I'm about to leave, I can see one of the blessings that is already being bestowed upon me from the Lord - confidence! Not that I didn't have any coming in, just there was that fear of jumping into the unknown. But now, I feel completely opposite. It's almost strange how unafraid I am to dive head-first into helping the Hmong people come unto Christ. I've never felt more sure of myself, and I know that is only because of the truthfulness and the divinity of the message that I have to share with God's children.
  • I wish I had a cool transition for this next point, but I've got nothin'. Ha anyways, in Sacrament Meeting this last week I heard a really cool analogy that I wanted to share with you guys. There is a scripture that he read (and I forgot to write down the reference, sorry!) that talks about how the Lord refines us like Silver. He then continued to tell us of how that process actually works nowadays. The man that is refining the silver holds it in the oven at the hottest part and intently watches over it. He must keep meticulous watch over it because if the Silver is left in the heat for too long, it is ruined. Yet the refiner knows the silver is completely refined and pure when he can see his reflection in the silver itself. Similiary, the Lord is watching over us. He refines us with our trials and adversities, yet is intently watching us, making sure we are not overcome from the trial itself. And through the trials, we obtain that part of Christ in us. I know this is true, and I'm so grateful for the challenges and trials I have faced in my life, because I know they have made me into the man that I am today. Like my favorite scripture (2 Nephi 2:24), "All things have been done in the wisdom who knows all things." I think this is so important to remember when going through life - Christ is always watching over and helping us, often in ways we don't even recognize.
Well, I should probably be going now! I'm starving! Ha! I love you guys though, are always in my thoughts and prayers, and I honestly couldn't ask for better people in my life. Stay near to Christ, and He'll stay near to you.
 
- Es Daws Tooj

No comments:

Post a Comment