Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Email #15

Nyob Zoo Kuv Tsev Neeg thiab Cov Phooj Ywg! Kuv Hlub Nej tiag tiag!

{Hello Family and Friends! I Love You So Much!}

   Hey! This past week has been both grievously exhausting and blatantly miraculous! Definitely a week that I will ever forget.

   This week was tough in that it was a lot people cancelling appointments, unopened doors (despite people talking literally right on the other side), and making eye contact with people through the window only for them not to open the door for you. Missionary work never is easy, but it is completely worth every effort. After this somewhat dismal week, we were struggling on Sunday night to figure out what we should do. We randomly decided to visit a less-active member, which at the time seemed completely illogical because they usually aren't available at that time, it was getting dark, and it was a really long drive to get there. Looking back though, we've realized it was the Spirit guiding us. We went to their apartment complex that was Hmong-people central outside. We went to their door and nobody was even home. But on the way out, we started speaking to a Hmong lady and it turns out she has been wanting to come to church for a while, and she and her family are now planning to come to church this next Sunday and we have a return appointment with them. It's amazing how the Lord, if we are able and willing to listen to the promptings of the Spirit, will place in our path individuals who have been prepared to receive the gospel. 

   Today we had the opportunity to go the Fresno Temple as a Zone, which is actually only about 20 minutes from where we live! It was so awesome to be able to go to the temple again! It definitely was way smaller than the temple in Provo I had become used to attending at the MTC. It was great though to be able to go, especially because you appreciate chances like that to go so much more as a missionary. Elder Allen said we usually only go about once every six months. 

   Speaking of Elder Allen, he is awesome. He really is an amazing missionary and I have no idea how we weren't friends in high school. It actually freaks me out a little. The other night we made Strawberry Boba drinks! Hmong people love Boba drinks, so all those months working at Yogurt Stop have actually paid off because I know how to make the drinks now! I was semi-impressed with ourselves that we made the drink because it tasted like liquid-awesomeness.

   Another great opportunity we had this week was to go the the church-owned vineyard here in Fresno and pick grapes for the church! It was so fun! What I ended up doing was being the spreader - I would take the picked grapes and spread them out onto these sheet of paper so they will dry and become raisins. They're used for all the humanitarian efforts. It's crazy how quickly we got through our section as a ward compared to other wards, the Hmong people really do know their stuff when it comes to farming. It really was so cool, I'll send some pictures home of that too as soon as I can!

   One of mine and Elder Allen's favorite scripture this past week has been John 16:33 (I don't have my scriptures on me, but I'mpretty sure that's the right reference). Christ truly has overcome everything, and because of that, He's able to help us in return with anything. I really am just so grateful for this opportunity that I have to serve, I truly know that I've been called by a prophet of God specifically to this mission and to a people who have been prepared to hear and accept the Gospel through me. I love you guys so much and pray for you. Love unconditionally as Christ unconditionally loves us. Sib Ntsib Dua!

- Elder Matthew Doane / 
  Tub Txib Tshaj Lug Vwj

No comments:

Post a Comment