Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Email #16

Nyob Zoo! I love you guys so much! Happy September 11th! - "We will never forget." {Elder Burdick just said that to me}

This week has been the usual - amazing! To be honest it hasn't been the hottest week as far as results go - lots of dropped appointments and such. I actually had my first investigator drop me a couple days ago. Not going to lie, that was kinda rough, but this week has still been great! 

Yesterday our mission had a zone conference with Elder and Sister Golden from the quorum of the 70 - IT WAS SO COOL! I don't think I've ever had the Spirit talk to me so directly with so many specific questions I had. It was actually kind of stressful because I had to play all the music and help with the musical number, but all the songs went over well! It's weird because I'm theonly missionary in all of Fresno that can play the piano, so I get to play all the time! It is awesome, all that time practicing at the church before I left really has paid off. 

I think one of the coolest experiences I have had so far are giving lessons to recent converts of the church. We've given a couple this last week, and it really just reaffirms my own testimony when I hear these new converts talking about how the gospel, which is brand new in their lives, is already blessing them so much. 

Something that I've been studying this week that has been really meaningful is what faith truly is and trying to more fully apply it in my missionary work. A verse I read that I particularly like is in Alma 5:12 when it says "And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in the his heart." When we have faith in Jesus Christ and act on it, meaning we trust in him and his promises He has made us, the result is that our hearts are able to be aligned with our Heavenly Father's. And that through doing we are able to have a greater happiness that we have ever attained through our own efforts.  

I really do love being a missionary. Seeing the change wrought because of the gospel, not only in the lives of those we're teaching but also in our own lives, really makes all the hard work worth it. I love you so all so much and preay that you are all doing well. I know that the Lord is watching over you because He has confirmed it to me through the Spirit. Until next week... SIB NTSIB DUA!

- Yours Truly,
  Elder Matthew David Doane / 
  Tub Txib Tshaj Lug Vwj

P.S. - I'M SO EXCITED TO HEAR THAT LEXI IS GOING TO DETROIT! And, speaking of, here's something I forgot to tell you guys that is semi-important... so it turns out apparently that all the Hmong Elders in this mission get a 3-week extension meaning Lexi and I are literally BOTH getting off our missions the same day!!! 

P.S.S. - I'm officially becoming Hmong because I'm starting to crave spicy food now... I never though those words would come out of my mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment